Sunday, November 13, 2011

Week of November 7 - 10

Kindergarten - In honor of Veteran's Day, we colored an American Flag and used it while singing God Bless America!

2nd - We continued celebrating Veteran's Day with patriotic songs and read a book with all of the verses of Yankee Doodle. We also learned a beautiful Veteran's Day song.

3rd Grade - We practiced singing the songs for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. We also took a look at all 4 verses of our National Anthem. Did you know that traditionally we only sing verse one? And it ends with a question! There's so much more to Francis Scott Key's poem!

4th Grade - Wow! These kids are doing a fantastic job playing the recorders! I am so impressed! I am challenging them with listening and echoing activities as well as reading music. They are also doing a little composing using Mimio. Ask them about this! Please make sure that your child brings the recorder to school. Starting this week, they will have to stay in for study hall if it is forgotten. Lastly, check out the 4th grade recorder tab at the top of my blog. I am posting links to recorder sites that I feel are useful and fun.

1st and 5th - "A Pirate's Christmas" is moving right along! The cast list will be posted on Monday, November 14 and lunch recess rehearsals will begin. 5th graders will need to eat their lunch during the first half of the lunch hour so that they can rehearse their scenes with the 1st graders. I will provide a detailed calendar so that students know when they need to make this switch.

Thank you to all of you who sent in pictures of Veterans in your family! I am honored to post them in my room. You helped bring to life the meaning of Veteran's Day!

No comments: