Kindergarten - We started our "Carnival of the Animals" adventure! Each year I introduce my kindergarten students to this wonderful set of music by Camille Saint-Saens. We play guessing games about which animal is represented in the music, learn about the instruments, dance, and explore musical form.
1st Grade - We extended the lessons from our Presidents song into some classical music this week. We experienced high/low, fast/slow/ loud/soft, and long/short in Brahms' Hungarian Dance #5 and Paul Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice. We enjoyed a bit of Disney's Fantasia, too!
2nd Grade - I am so proud of these children! They performed "Squirm" three times this week and did a fantastic job! Our next unit will be on the instruments of the orchestra.
3rd Grade - These amazing students have nearly every song memorized for our April show called "Broadway Beat!" Next week we will take a break from rehearsals and spend an hour in the computer lab working on GarageBand.
4th Grade - We experimented with music in 3/4 time on the Orff instruments. We expanded it by playing these new patterns as a canon. This was difficult!
5th Grade - We spent some time this week reflecting on behavior during the assembly for the 2nd grade show. Unfortunately, many students made bad decisions and I held them accountable. In keeping with their deeply rooted sense of honor, they were able to express their regret. I love and respect these 5th graders even more now. We had a lot of fun on Friday dancing on the stage!