Friday, January 16, 2015

Week of January 12-16

1st Grade - I am teaching the students a song in which they name all 44 American Presidents.  I love teaching this!  I teach them one movement for every president and try to share an entertaining story about each one.  In addition, this song is full of music lessons.  They will experience high and low, fast and slow, loud and quiet, sing, speak and whisper.

2nd Grade - I sent home a letter this week regarding the 2nd grade show.  A copy of this letter can be found under the 2nd grade show tab at the top of this blog.  Rehearsals are going well!  Students have been trying out for speaking parts during lunch recess.  They're doing a great job!

3rd Grade - I read Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech to them this week.  Did you know that MLK references music 3 times in that speech?  One of the references is heard at the end of his speech when he quotes an old spiritual "Free at Last".  That song is in our music books, so we sang it.  In addition, the students are learning how to sing "Fifth Nifty United States".  I hope they are singing it at home for you!

4th Grade - We are using our set of tubanos this month.  The students are echoing and reading rhythms, combining patterns to create an African type of ensemble, and doing some improvising.  We talk about eye contact and communicating with both our eyes and our hands.  It's challenging, but also fun!

5th Grade - We are now rehearsing for the 5th grade show!  Our theme this year involves popular American songs that have a word, phrase or paragraph in a different language.  I am super excited about this show!  We will be adding some live accompaniments to several of them by utilizing our classroom instruments.