Friday, October 14, 2016

Week of October 11 - 14

Kindergarten - The children were introduced to minor music.  We sang a couple of Halloween songs to experience the spooky sound of minor music and compared it to the happy sound of major music.

2nd Grade - Last week I taught the children a cute poem about pumpkins.  We added movement and performed it as a 4 part round.  This week the students worked together and created their own classroom poem.  We added movement, showed the rhythm using notes and rests, and did it as a 2 part round.  This was a fun activity!

3rd Grade - We are now polishing our dance moves before I record the students for our upcoming competition.  In addition, we are comparing an old version and a new version of the song "Dry Bones." The conversations have been interesting!

4th Grade - I sent home a bright green sheet with all of the song lyrics to our show.  I'm hopeful that the children will practice at home and get everything memorized!  I also sent home a letter that includes costume information and the performance time.  A copy of this letter can be found on this blog under the 4th grade show tab.

5th Grade - The students have been composing together.  This project started with rhythms that the students created and performed on our classroom drums.  From there they turned their rhythms into melodies and performed them on Orff instruments.  They are now in the process of adding harmony to their music.  The music is wonderful and so unique!

No comments: