Friday, September 21, 2012

Week of September 17-21

Kindergarten - We are experiencing the beat using both body percussion and African congas.  We're also using our singing voices while echoing.

1st Grade - While using the world instruments, we played rhythms about pennies, nickels, dimes, food and Mother Goose poems.  We also practiced playing at different tempos and dynamics.

2nd Grade - This week we worked on reading, playing and combining whole notes, half notes, quarter notes and eighth notes.  We played some rhythms with short poems as well as playing the rhythms of our birthdays.

3rd Grade - Students are making the transition from reading rhythms with the language of "ta and ti-ti" to counting and using their proper names.  We combined many challenging rhythms and learned some friendship poems with drum patterns.

4th Grade - Auditions are now over and the cast list will go up today.  I am always so proud of children who have the courage to try out for special parts.  I hope that the confidence I see in them now continues to grow within them as they grow up!

5th Grade - We did some improvising this week and talked about what that means.  We also started a project in which they will compose, create and perform within a small group.  I love how I can keep challenging these students and they rise to it all!