Kindergarten - We've been singing, echoing, keeping a beat and playing rhythms on the congas. They also got a chance to play the African talking drum!
1st Grade - This week we learned an apple poem and an apple song. They accompanied themselves on the drums.
2nd Grade - The students were assessed on dynamic changes this week. They had to play and speak at soft, medium and loud levels. We also drummed the patterns of our Halloween costumes!
3rd Grade - I am very excited that we are starting to prepare a song and dance for a video competition! I will be submitting this video to John Jacobson, my favorite composer of children's music. If we qualify, we will be included on a "mash up" video!
4th Grade - We are learning choreography for the show now! The show is cast and our wonderful actors and actresses are doing an amazing job! I sent home a letter this week and copied it to the 4th grade show tab at the top of this blog. If you can help with costumes or scenery, please email me.
5th Grade - The students were given the assignment of composing an ABA piece for the conga drums in groups of three. In the A section, one person was supposed to play an ostinato ( a repeated rhythm pattern) while the other two played a conversation, or call-and-response. The B section was to include movement. I think you'll agree that the results are impressive! Please check out the links which I am posting under the 5th grade tab at the top of this blog.