Friday, September 13, 2013

Week of September 9-13

1st Grade - We have been drumming to Mother Goose poems, coin poems and an apple rhyme.  They are developing great listening and echoing skills and I hear confidence growing with both their singing and speaking voices.

2nd Grade - We are still enjoying the cup patterns.  We started a new song called "I Like School" and are improvising rhythms on the drums.  We also practiced drumming techniques with question and answer, and call and response.

3rd Grade - We practiced internalizing rhythms with an "array" of sounds. I taught them the patterns for the cup song and they learned it very quickly!  We started a rock and roll ensemble that involves a little stick drumming.

4th Grade - This week we are finding out how much of our jazz show is already memorized.  I enjoy their voices very much and look forward to dancing with them next week.  The cast list will be posted by Monday.

5th Grade - I am amazed at how these students absorb challenging rhythms and can put them all together.  We started learning a Jamaican ensemble and continued polishing the swing patterns and the "Happy" patterns.

No comments: