Friday, October 3, 2014

Week of September 29 - October 3

1st Grade - We had fun with fruit this week.  We did an apple poem and used rhythm sticks to keep the beat.  We read/sang a book called "Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear", and most importantly, the 1st graders are learning how to read rhythms.

2nd Grade - We are brushing up on reading rhythms.  We enjoyed applying these rhythms in a piece of music called "Popcorn".  We used more challenging rhythms in a circle/partner dance to a song called "Bow Wow Wow".  We also had fun playing patterns on cups while listening to Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer".  Lastly, we started learning a fun autumn song.

3rd Grade - I gave the students a pretest on several musical concepts that we will cover this year.  It will be fun to measure their musical growth!  We are preparing a John Jacobson for a mash-up video competition that I've done for the past two years with my 3rd graders.  The music and lyrics are fun and positive!

4th Grade - I sent home a letter requesting your child's t-shirt size and $2.00.  We will be tie-dying shirts for the show.  We had our first full cast rehearsal on the stage this week.  It went well!

5th Grade - We focused on the concepts of melody and harmony this week.  The students created harmony to the song "I Love the Mountains" by using their voice, xylophones and choir chimes.  I think they were amazed at how interesting they could make a simple song by adding creative music underneath the melody.

No comments: