Friday, September 4, 2015

Welcome back!

This is a very exciting year!  Ivy Hill turns 50! 

This is year 21 for me and I am so proud to be here!

I will be posting on Twitter this year.  You can find me at #ivyhillopitz




I am so happy to be teaching Kindergarten music again, however, I do not have the 1st graders this year.  Mrs. Carol Clark is their music teacher  :-)


Here is an update on our activities in music class so far.

Kindergarten - We are having fun singing, echoing and feeling beats.  The children are learning a song that they will perform for you in May!

2nd Grade - We are using our classroom set of world drums.  The children are learning about proper hand drumming techniques, playing rhythm patterns and improvising.

3rd Grade - We are preparing a John Jacobson song called "All In!" for a mash-up video competition.  This is a super fun, upbeat song with a positive message!  We are also using the world drums and practicing rhythms.

4th Grade - Get ready for "Gotta Be Jazz!"  We are working on several authentic vocal jazz songs and it is a blast!  The students are learning about the history of jazz music as well as some special vocal jazz techniques.  I am loving all of this and I think the kids are, too!

5th Grade - I am challenging these students with a lot of a cappella singing, rhythm reading and drumming patterns.  They are rising up to my challenges so we will keep pushing forward!  We are also discussing 5th grade t-shirts!