Friday, November 2, 2012

Week 0f October 29 - November 2

Kindergarten - We sang all of our Halloween songs and used more instruments as sound effects.

1st Grade - Auditions are going very well!  The students have learned several of their songs and dances for our holiday show.  Please check the tab at the top of this blog that says 1st Grade - Candy Cane Lane.  I will copy all letters there.

2nd Grade - We played glockenspiels, xylophones and metallophones to a Halloween song that has changing speeds. We also started learning a coupe of patriotic songs in honor of Veteran's Day.

3rd Grade - On Monday I videotaped all of the 3rd graders singing and dancing to "The Song of Life"!  I submitted this video the Music Express magazine.  Hopefully we will be selected to be featured in a mash-up video of this song!  I will keep you posted.

4th Grade - We did a review of the Italian words that are used in music to describe dynamics, or volume.  We also took a practice quiz for the words to the National Anthem.  I will give the real quiz next Friday.  I shared the story of how the Star Spangled Banner was written.

5th Grade - On Halloween we had fun listening to Camille Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre.  On Friday we took a practice quiz on the lyrics to the first verse of our National Anthem.  I told the story of Francis Scott Key and the War of 1812 so that the students might have a better appreciation for this song.


I am proudly posting pictures of Ivy Hill veterans in my room!  If there is a veteran in your family, please consider sending in a picture for my wall.  I love this time of year and truly enjoy sharing patriotic songs and America's brave history with my students!